[lug] Looking for an example spec file

Kenneth D. Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Tue Jun 30 09:02:42 MDT 2009

As I mentioned in an earlier question, I'm looking to create RPMs to
make it easier to install on machines here at work.

I have the situation where I have a shared library and I have two
questions about things that I'm not quite understanding, so pointers to
examples (in the doc, I've been reading Max RPM - but any pointers are
fine) or an example file would be greatly appreciated.

First off, when the shared lib is installed, at the moment I have the
Makefile creating the links (liba.so.1.0.0 -> liba.so.1.0, etc) but
rpmbuild complained about that. Due to the version information I'm not
sure how I'd go about doing that in the %post actions (presuming that's
where it would happen) or exactly how to arrange that.

The second thing is that I need to have a -devel package to go with this
shared lib. Since there's only one build section I'm not quite sure how
to manage that.  Right now in the Makefile I have both an install and an
install-devel target. This might not be the proper way to do this either.

Any assistance from the more experienced packagers will be greatly
appreciated. Pointers/examples/whatever :)

I've been developing and building software for a long time, but mostly
only worrying about one machine or work rules that had us just copying
files. I'm trying to do it correctly with this new effort to help avoid
some of the issues that have come with that approach (like: are you
*sure* you copied the right file *and* the new library and put them in
the right place?)

If there's a list/irc for packagers that are tolerant of folks just
learning how it works I'd appreciate knowing about them as well.

Thank you.

--
Ken
We're all only one mistake away from stupidity.