[lug] Google Chrome Linux "distribution"

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:45:55 MDT 2009

Folks,
by now, you surely already know about this piece of news:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2009/07/google-chrome-os-faq.html

I think it will be good for hw support, even for other distributions,
but I'd like to talk about something else, which I think is tightly
related, even if nobody noticed, dinned by the buzz of the previous
news: http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/07/releasing-neatx-open-source-nx-servier.html
With ChromeOS and NX server, I'll bet that Google will become even
more "cloudy" in providing its services, and it will offer
non-web-based server-side applications remotely running on their
server. This will fit nicely the idea of dumb-clients, smaller and
smaller (relatively speaking), like netbooks. What do you think?

As a strong open source advocate, I think that we should use more and
more the Affero license, instead of GPL, see for example this:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnreleasedMods

Is Rob Savoye subscriber of this group? I'd like to re-ask him the
question why they picked-up GPLv3 instead of Affero v3 for cygnal.
Mumbling on how he answered my question, I think I misunderstood
something.
Business-friendliness would be a good answer that I'd understand (but
he didn't say so). In addition, if business-friendliness is the real
reason, then I'd ask why GPLv3 instead of GPLv2 (or even LGPL) which
would have been even more friendly. What do you think?
If Rob is not reading this list, would you please invite him to the discussion?

Bye,
;Dav