[lug] Google Chrome Linux "distribution"

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:39:55 MDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Davide Del
Vento<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> To Chris: under Affero, the end user will not be considered the author
> of the software, that I'm sure.

Yeah, I'm also certain Affero doesn't do that. I'm entirely unaware of
any existing license that's tried this work-for-hire idea.

But it is interesting, don't you think?

Works Made for Hire. -- ... (2) a work specially ordered or
commissioned for use as a contribution to a collective work, as a part
of ... a supplementary work, as a compilation, as an instructional
text, as a test, as answer material for a test ... if the parties
expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work
shall be considered a work made for hire. (17 U.S.C. sec 101)

I'm just going to read a little into this:

Collective work: F/OSS
A compilation: Of code
Instructional text: to a computer
Test: as all software should!
Answer material for a test: Yay for testing frameworks!
Written instrument: Click-through?  Implicit agreement of acceptance by use?

Hmmm.

--
Chris Riddoch