[lug] disk image with dd

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Mon Jul 13 09:12:59 MDT 2009

If you have any errors on the hard drive, dd will just stop. I'm a big
fan on dd_rhelp (I think it is just a wrapper to ddrescue which is a
wrapper to dd) as it jumps over bad regions (fills them with 0's) and
comes back and figures out of the size of the bad region smartly. You
can start/stop it many times and it picks up where it was left off.
Basically it spends its time getting the 'easy' data and then
progressively works harder on the data near bad regions. But otherwise,
you are right about the mount command and making a disk image.