[lug] Ethernet Enabled PLC/Linux Microcontroller

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Aug 1 02:08:21 MDT 2009

p.s. Disclaimer:  If you're talking about reading anything that
outputs 120 VAC or uses it as an input, and you're building it
yourself without knowing more than the basics about electronics, such
devices have the ability to KILL someone, and you should find a
professional EE or at the VERY least an EE student before proceeding
-- that or embark on at least a few months of study and find said
people you can ask questions of.

I always forget to mention that... when people show up on mailing
lists asking about "simple" switches or circuits to measure "on and
off"...

Measuring a low DC voltage, you can build things to your heart's
content until you get what you want it to do, correct.  Messing around
with 120 VAC from a wall socket, you can come real close to killing
yourself, pretty easily.  Start to get into 220 VAC for motor and
other controls, and you'd better be a professional or hire one.

Additionally, if other people are regularly going to come into contact
with these devices, you need to take care to make them as
intrinsically safe as you can.  The electronics become a bit more
convoluted from a beginner's point of view, but are all well-known and
well-documented techniques.  I've seen some really scary shit (and
yes, I'm not censoring that word, because that is what they were)
built by hobbyists become things that companies used for long periods
of time until a shocked (hopefully not literally) EE walks by and
reaches for the master power kill switch and tells no one to go
ANYWHERE near it until it's been re-designed to be safe.

Just be careful and think... and you'll be fine.  But nowadays, I've
run into SO many folks who don't... I figured I'd better follow up
with the disclaimer.

Common sense, isn't so common anymore.  I've seen fully licensed
Amateur Radio operators ask if they can transmit RF without an
antenna.  Seriously.  Unbelievable.  "But I bought this radio!  Can't
I use it somehow before I buy feedline and an antenna?!  Isn't it like
a cell phone?"  When you explain that there's an antenna INSIDE the
cell phone, they're usually quite surprised.  Then they want to know
why a VHF radio doesn't include the same feature.  And these are folks
tested to KNOW that a quarter-wavelength at 144 MHz is roughly 19"
long, and the case of the radio is only 6" deep.  Seriously.  Really.
It's that bad.

Okay so... all the above said, there's little that's truly "new" in
Electronics.  A little study time at any well-stocked public library,
or inter-library loan, and you can learn what's safe and what's not.
Most folks today haven't had the "fun" of working on tube-based
electronics where voltages were into the thousands of volts, even if
low-current, and everyone passed along safety knowledge as part of the
culture.  Lots of help "out there" though -- plenty of brilliant EE's
out of work who'd enjoy teaching a bit...

(By the way, my learning of electronics is from almost two decades in
Amateur Radio -- I do NOT consider myself and expert and EVERY design
I create I "run by" some trusted friends with formal training and
knowledge of electronics.  Over the years I've learned enough to "get
myself by", but I can't offer much in the way of training... or at
least I think I can't still... don't really want to fry someone to
find out... heh heh.)

Nate