[lug] Local printers not supported

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 23:38:55 MDT 2009

Michael,

I've had mixed luck with the desktop-specific printer wizards, but much
better luck wiith the stock CUPS GUI.  The "wizards" are talking to, CUPS,
anyway, but they're after-market products. The CUPS GUI is done by the folks
who also did CUPS, so it seems to have fewer problems.

Point your browser at http://localhost:631 and poke around.  You may learn
more and have better luck.

Unlike older systems, the browser-based CUPS GUI is arguably a saner
interface to use than its CLI, because a CUPS server *is* a web server.  The
IPP protocol it uses is, approximately, HTTP.  (And the CUPS config file
looks remarkably like an Apache config file.)  On a CUPS-based system, CLI
clients, even though they're called things like "lpr"  and "lpstat" are
actually using web protocols to talk to the server.

Analogously, I've had better luck with network printers than with USB
printers.  Even when they're the same printer.  For example, when I was in a
time crunch and my tediously configured USB printer, at home, was failing in
annoying and mysterious ways, I looked at the back, saw an ethernet port,
plugged the sucker directly into the network and -- WHAMMO! -- it just
worked.

Play to its strengths. :-)

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>