[lug] OT: Colocation Providers

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Aug 17 17:35:42 MDT 2009

On 08/17/2009 03:35 PM, George Sexton wrote:
> I looked at Fortrust. They're actually selling shared cabinet space. 4U for

Ah, I didn't know they were doing that, good to know.

We've always found them extremely easy to work with and have been very
happy there, but we've been with them for 5 or more years and they've said
we're one of their bigger single customers.

> My wife was a little freaked
> out by the location too. She pictures me going there at 1:00 AM on a Sunday

I expect that they can't let your vehicle into the fortress-like fence out
front because of security -- that would put it too close to in-use parts of
the facility.  So they don't let customer vehicles in there, think
car-bombing...  The other sides of the building have an interior air-space
away from the concrete walls that form the data areas, so it's not as big a
deal there.

Data centers can get real particular about stuff like that.  It's always
fun to try to figure out how to load and unload equipment from different
facilities.  I remember this one in Chicago where it was a big deal to
leave a car at the loading dock for the time it took to move the equipment
from the dock to the interior door of the loading dock -- you just can't
leave vehicles there.  But, I appreciate that.  Too much paranoia from
working on carrier class facilities I guess.  :-)

Anyway, I've been to Fortrust plenty of times in the middle of the night
(it's my preferred time to go, because I'm a night-owl), and I've never
been concerned about my safety.  You have a security guard watching you via
camera, and watching the area anyway...

Maybe I'm just too used to facilities being in weird, deserted places.
Another facility in Chicago I was recently at was unattended (no security
guard at night) and had me walking through some random alley in down-town
Chicago.  Their front entrance was being re-painted that weekend...  I
probably should have been more concerned than I was.  :-)

Sean