[lug] Not enough space in Var for yum cache

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Aug 25 19:09:10 MDT 2009

Gordon Golding wrote:
> These machines only have 1 gig of /var and the download is a gig.
>
> Is there a way to tell yum to put its cache someplace else?? There's plenty of space on /

The first Google hit for yum cache is yum.conf(5) and the first option
described is cachedir.  But aesthetically I'd leave it where it is.

Besides a symlink (less aesthetic in my book, but maybe simpler) you can
make a new file system and mount it on /var/yum (delete everything under
there first).

And of course the Right Way(TM) to do it is just to add some spare
logical extents to /var (or steal them from / if you don't have any spare).

Dave