[lug] QoS and dd-wrt

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Mon Aug 31 19:30:51 MDT 2009

At work, we've (sadly) got a 640/256 dsl connection being shared between
10 computers. Often only a few are using the internet at a time.
However, if one computer starts a download, it gets 98% of the
bandwidth, and the remaining 9 computers share the remaining 2%. I'd
like to make this a little more fair. Suggestions welcome. I was
thinking of setting up a dd-wrt router between the 10 computers and our
internet connection and using QoS.

>From what I've seen on QoS, for each category of traffic, I select and
min and max bandwidth. If I give each computer its own QoS category (I
don't care about the kind of traffic), then I'd have to set the minimum
bandwidth to 10% in case all computers are using the internet, right:

Computer-1   Min: 10%   Max: 90%
Computer-10  Min: 10%  Max: 90%

but this still isn't fair. If there are only 2 computer using the
internet, then one can hog 90% while the other gets 10% but the QoS
rules are satisfied.  I don't want to bump down the Max setting because
often only one person is using the internet and they ought to get
(nearly) full speed.

Am I thinking about wrong? Is there a better way to do this? I want the
bandwidth even divided between whomever wants it.

Thanks,

Ben