[lug] Business VOIP Advice...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 2 13:27:04 MDT 2009

On 09/02/2009 08:52 AM, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> telco refuses (for their own VOIP service) to put QoS on their end of the
> T1/DSL/Cable? For more details, read on...

The reason to go for a provider that offers both the line and the VoIP
service is that they will do the right thing for the QoS to make sure that
data traffic doesn't swamp the voice.

Otherwise, you might as well just get a data line and whatever VoIP
provider you like on the Internet and deal with these issues.

Now, remember, a T1 is *NOT* a high speed Internet service.  I'm so old
that I remember when a T1 was a high speed connection.

I think you have a few options:

   Ditch this provider for someone who does this right, offering basically
   the same service T1 with QoS and VoIP bundled with it.

   Get a dedicated DSL or similar line for VoIP, and another for data, and
   just put up with the fact that your VoIP line is going to be "wasted"
   most of the time.  We did this in the past with very good luck.  Then
   use whatever VoIP provider you want, for just the VoIP, and not asking
   them to provide the line.

   Just get more capacity than you can swamp.  This is what we do for the
   location that our Asterisk server is at.  Good luck with getting more
   bandwidth than you can use.  :-)

> Is it expected for the telco to provide QoS for VOIP.

Absolutely.  From the service you describe (T1 with the provider handling
both the line and the data+VoIP), they should be providing this.  Everyone
else in their industry does...

Sean