[lug] Business VOIP Advice...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Sep 2 21:30:51 MDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Zan Lynx wrote:

> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>> On 09/02/2009 08:52 AM, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>> telco refuses (for their own VOIP service) to put QoS on their end
>>> of the
>>> T1/DSL/Cable? For more details, read on...
>>
>> The reason to go for a provider that offers both the line and the
>> VoIP
>> service is that they will do the right thing for the QoS to make
>> sure that
>> data traffic doesn't swamp the voice.
>>
>> Otherwise, you might as well just get a data line and whatever VoIP
>> provider you like on the Internet and deal with these issues.
>>
>> Now, remember, a T1 is *NOT* a high speed Internet service.  I'm so
>> old
>> that I remember when a T1 was a high speed connection.
>
> Absolutely a T1 is a high speed Internet link. If you cannot handle
> about 20 simultaneous VOIP calls on a T1 then you are using the wrong
> software.

I don't think that's what Sean was saying.  Most businesses beyond a
mid-size are installing DS-3's or faster these days.  The fiber being
accessible is the key, but if it is... it doesn't take marginally that
much more money to hang a DS-3 into a building than it does to hang
multiple copper T1's.

He's saying, relatively these days... a T1 is bloody slow.

Can it handle plenty of voice calls when done right?  Absolutely.  If
you just mix all your user's data traffic and the voice traffic with
no segregation, will the voice suffer on a T1 if even a single person
starts a large download from a site that'll feed at something faster
than 1.544 Mb/s?  Absolutely.

(Ironically this is the same debate that's driving the business units
at large telcos to crazy extremes like making the Internet NOT be Net
Neutral.  If 5% of users eat up 90% of bandwith (ficticious numbers,
but often real on individual links) with BitTorrent traffic, and no
voice, HTTP, or other TCP services can cram their way through, the so-
called "evil" bandwidth owners want the right to throttle the protocol
that's hogging the pipe they have in place.  The fact that they
advertised (foolishly) "unlimited" service, was always a fallacy...
but people now expect that level of service.  And there are other
issues, too... just a side-trip down telco lane.  One can also argue
that a telco refusing to light up all colors on a DWDM fiber mux to
artificially create "scarcity" to keep prices higher, is probably
"evil" too, but it's much more hidden from view than issues like
dropping BitTorrent client traffic arbitrarily are.)

> One single dedicated voice channel is 64 Kbps. A T1 is 1.5 Mbps and
> could handle 23 lines when connected to a PBX in the olden days.

Various available CODECs can do far better than 64 Kb/s for a voice
channel, sometimes at a loss of audio quality.  The main thing keeping
it from happening is that even though there are standards, not all
vendors implement them in a consistent way... a common problem of
Internet IETF type standards, even though most CODECs are ITU
standards... G.711 is still the "lingua franca" of telco, but G.729
and friends could really help with bandwidth utilization... if they
could be consistently and properly used.

> If you cannot do the same while using a packetized protocol that
> doesn't
> even have to transmit much of the time, then something is very
> wrong, as
> I said.

Actually TCP log-jams are a well documented phenomenon when a link is
saturated.  It's not like the concept is new that if you push the
various layers to their max traffic levels, their ability to pass that
traffic diminishes with almost exponential results... because that's
EXACTLY the math that was in the standards to start with.  Take an OLD
example... half-duplex 100 Mb/s Ethernet falls completely apart at 85
Mb/s, this is a well-known fact.  TCP has had tons of things "grafted
on" to it to handle timing issues over the decades.  UDP is ... well,
Unreliable... as expected, and loses out to other traffic... as it
SHOULD, but it's also the preferred way to transport audio (seems back-
assward, doesn't it) for telco systems... then we layer on QoS, VLANs,
etc... to try to make up for the fact that we're using the most
unreliable protocol available to us in the IP "stack" to pass the
traffic in most dire need of "real-time" delivery.  (And people in IT
wonder why others think we're idiots... in many ways, we ARE!)

> Or I suppose you could be trying to do CD quality voice. That's a
> waste
> of time.

No one was expecting that.  I think Sean was just saying "Bandwidth is
a LOT cheaper than when I started, and it doesn't make sense to ONLY
buy a T1 in many cases, nowadays."  I hope I'm not putting words in
his mouth, but I "got" right where he was coming from.  He and I both
probably EASILY remember when a T1 was well over $1000/month.  Now you
can get multiple fiber DS-3's delivered to buildings, not
datacenters... for that.

And it'll keep getting cheaper.  Even my measly "residential" Comcast
drop (yes, I have a commercial account but that's only for static
IP's... I still share the pipe with the neighbors) can do 12 Mb/s to
my house in it's sleep.  A T1 @ 1.544 Mb/s would put me to sleep
waiting for a web page to load...

"He who dies with the most bandwidth, wins!" -- LOL!

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot