[lug] Bandwidth nostalgia (was: Re: Business VOIP Advice...)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 3 01:36:39 MDT 2009

On 09/02/2009 09:37 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:
> p.s. For fun... I looked.  I paid $79.95/month for an ISDN line and

Ah, good times, good times!  We also had an ISDN back in 1996-ish.  It was
pretty damn nice for the time.  I used one of those Motorola modems,
whatever they were called -- bitsurfr?  Yeah:

   http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/ISDN/bsp-ext.gif

I don't recall what we paid for the ISP service, I want to say it was $70
for the line and another $70 for the service, but I don't honestly
remember.  I do remember saying that I "never again want to listen to two
modems sniffing each others butts", and that the voice channel sounded
great because it was only going through around 20 feet of cat-5 instead of
running across town on the older stuff.

I had one of the Zyxel modems, but before they released the ISDN add-on for
it.  It ended up breaking or something fairly quickly, which disappointed
me since it was such an expensive modem.  My Supra modems still work, I
keep them around in case I ever need to use a modem again.  :-)

The funny thing about ISDN was that I had tried to get it back in like 1993
here in Fort Collins for a business we were running, and lovely QWest told
me they were "actively discouraging people from getting it".  Delightful --
it was a great technology that they didn't want to sell me.  Thanks.

The funny thing was that this would have been connected to an HP 912
workstation which had two interfaces available on the back: 19.2k RS-232,
or SCSI.  You can't really take advantage of ISDN over a 19.2kbps serial
connection, so HP made a SCSI ISDN modem.  Really.  :-)

> Today, I pay about $65/month on a special two-year deal (contract's

I need to find a place that is line of sight to our server facility in
Denver and just move.  Then set up something wireless so I can get hooked
into our network there.  :-)

Sean