[lug] Delightful ISDN technology

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Sep 4 01:25:08 MDT 2009

On 09/04/2009 12:42 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:
> mention that I've had a number of small business owner friends in the
> Front Range rave about the pricing and reliability of Qwests MPLS

I'm shocked to hear you say that.  Not because I know anything about their
MPLS service, but because of our experience with giving them an opportunity
to quote us for the latest line we had deployed for our hosting...

I had spoken to one of their sales-folks about getting a 100mbps Ethernet
drop -- they are present in our facility and can do hand-offs.  After a
fair bit of pain, we finally got a quote for a 100mbps Ethernet handoff,
and then a separate quote for Internet bandwidth on it.  They provided
several different bandwidth levels, which was great, but the highest level
was a "full DS-1".

Yep, they quoted us several levels of utilization at 1.544mbps and below,
on a Fast Ethernet link.

To be fair, when we got a DS-3 years ago, that whole process went very
smoothly.

The only kind of weird thing was that they deployed it as one channel of an
OC-3, and originally we spent a lot of time going back and forth about the
equipment they needed to put in to terminate it.  They were saying it was a
full 42U cabinet needing like 30 square feet of floor space.  In the end,
they mounted it on the wall with the rest of the telco gear for that
building.

Sean