[lug] recovering data

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at aim.com
Tue Sep 22 14:25:34 MDT 2009

 I have a data server with 2 drives on it.

I was keeping a copy of data on Drive1(system drive) and generation copies on Drive2

Drive1 almost filled up, so I did a last big tar of Drive1data to Drive2, in case somebody had changed stuff since the last official backup.

Tar took forever, the tar file on drive2 had problems and couldn't be copied to a usb drive.

Then: segmentation fault and WON'T reboot - has disk errors.

I took Drive2 to another machine, it reports disk errors.

I don't want to just be experimenting - hope somebody has more experience than I - I am working first on Drive2.

fsck says error.? When I say: Ignore, it finds many more.

Is the only thing to do a "fsck -a" and hope for the best?

[root at icare ~]# fsck /dev/sdb1
fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
/dev/sdb1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 601 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read).? Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? no

Error reading block 602 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read).? Ignore error<y>?

[root at icare ~]# fsck /dev/sdb1
fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
/dev/sdb1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 601 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read).? Ignore error<y>? no

Error while iterating over blocks in inode 7: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
e2fsck: aborted

Gordon Golding