[lug] recovering data

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 22 19:32:25 MDT 2009

On 09/22/2009 02:25 PM, Gordon Golding wrote:
> fsck says error.? When I say: Ignore, it finds many more.

For the next time you or someone else runs across this: Never run fsck on a
drive with drive errors.  fsck won't fix those, it'll just make the
file-system worse in most cases.

So, as I understand it, Drive 1 has a copy of the data you need on it?
It's not clear if that also has errors or not, but in either case you may
want to consider using "dd" or "ddrescue" to make a copy of that disc before
you try to do anything else to it...

At this point, I wouldn't trust any data you get off the drive.  But, if
you still want to continue, I'd recommend either mounting it read-only and
copying off what you can -- this will probably require several passes as
you find data that it won't read and need to tell it to skip that, or use
ddrescue to make a raw image copy of the drive to another, and use that to
pull the data off.  Almost certainly though, some of your data is damaged
and you'll need to come up with a way to verify it.

Sean