[lug] hard drive failure

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Oct 2 19:35:47 MDT 2009

Luke P wrote:
> Anyone recommend a local shop that can perform an evaluation, at a
> reasonable cost, and quote of the work that needs to be done to
> recover the data?

I used a place over 5 years ago.  No idea whether they're still around.
  I can look for the name on Monday if you still need it then.

The disk I had was from an Alpha, with several partitions mounted under
/.  They were somewhat confused by that, but did manage to get the files
off (I had to figure out which partition was which for myself).  I also
had tried dd-rescue first.

The cost was about $1000, which seemed about right.

A little while later we had another drive fail at work.  We had to send
that one out to one of Dell's approved places because it was still under
warranty.  They said about $1200.  Oh wait, on the GSA schedule?  That's
a flat rate of $2000.

Dave