[lug] hard drive failure

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Oct 4 09:08:13 MDT 2009

My experience with the freezer is 50/50.  In one case I got 5 minutes
during each power up and in six sessions recovered 95% of the wanted
data, missing a bit of e-mail that was in some damaged sectors.  Drive
would not start on the seventh try either.

I recommend a cold soak though, two hours minimum or overnight for 3.5
inch drives before the first attempt.  Put the drive in a freezer bag
and seal it up.

I've heard of people using USB drive enclosures and leaving the drive in
the freezer during the recovery.  Haven't tried that one yet.  As the
drive warms, it will condense moisture out of the air.  Big drives can
get very wet if the air's damp, so keep the ribbon and power cables out
of the case.  I've done the electronics swap with some drives with known
chip problems.  Problem there was hard to find a good working matching
drive.  Took a few months of seeking and waiting but might be your best
try if available.  Most common thing I find with notebook drives appears
to be motor related.

Sometimes I've had to 'spank' the frozen drives or change their
orientation to get them to work.  I mean a good solid thump.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley