[lug] Linux for K-12 school

Ferdinand Schmid ferdinand at schmidix.net
Wed Oct 14 07:13:41 MDT 2009

One item I haven't seen discussed here is centralized management.  If
this is a small school then you don't need to worry about this.
However, if it is larger then you may want to use a centralized
management tool.  This is where SLED shines with its ZENworks
management console.  This has been rolled out in larger school
districts where the cost savings for IT staff were much more
significant than software cost savings.  However, this is for fee
software and is really only cost effective in larger roll-outs.  This
works particularly well when you combine the Linux roll-out with a
hardware upgrade.  The new machines come pre-installed and all you do
is join them to your management zone.

Here is an article on the topic:

Ferdinand