[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks...

Carl Wagner carl.wagner at verbalworld.com
Fri Oct 16 17:05:43 MDT 2009

Nate,

I would love to see a bridge built with the same sort of requirements
that software engineers get:
   1)  It must look pretty.
   2)  It needs to be done in two weeks.
   3)  Your budget is $10K.

Sort of like asking to move a building 4 inches south.  In civil
engineering they would laugh at you.  In software they give you 2 days
to get it done.

The problem with software is it is too flexible.  What is the load
capacity of a 36"x12"x60' prestressed concrete beam using 8000Lb cement
with 8 #8's.  You look it up in a table.  What is the equivalent load
table for software?
For that matter, what is the software equivalent of: wood, steel,
concrete, glass, stone.

With software the is as many ways of doing something as there are
people.  We traditional engineering (in this case Cival), you get to
bend the rules a little bit, but you are still dealing with wood,
concrete, steel, glass and stone, and you must live within the
limitations of the materials being used.

No one is dieing, so there is no driver (lawsuits) to develop best
practices and component-tize software.
And how long have people been building bridges, as apposed to the
general population using software?

But I eagerly await your solution to the problem.  ;-)   And let me know
when I can order a 'bunk' of software routines from the Home Depot!

Carl.