[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks...

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Oct 16 22:36:07 MDT 2009

Nate Duehr wrote:
> "Business/IT would benefit from a bit of the discipline in
> Aviation"... wow.  Neat idea.  I have been thinking it for years, but
> probably don't have the skill to articulate it well enough to have
> thought of starting a consultancy and speaking on the topic.
> Frankly, it sounds really cool.

I learned discipline on a submarine.  I apply it at work with the teams
I lead.  They don't always go along very willingly, but dang we don't
screw things up.  Sometimes I feel like I'm holding people back.  My
boss calls it a "well oiled machine".  So there's something to what you say.

I see a lot of "why use a library that I can write myself" coding.  I
don't know whether good libraries are that hard to come by.  But the
code we write isn't organized into libraries much at all.  And it's been
years since I read about setting your smart people on that in _The
Pragmatic Programmer_.

Dave