[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks...

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Mon Oct 19 13:03:25 MDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Zan Lynx wrote:

> A major reason I am often reluctant to use CPAN is that it makes a Perl
> script that much harder to move between machines. Now, instead of
> copying the script, I have to make sure all its dependencies are also
> installed.
>
> Also, using CPAN (the CPAN module that is) at all has, in my experience,
> completely destroyed the ability to use Perl on RPM based systems. Its
> disregard of any packaging structure and its desire to upgrade anything
> and everything and to do it unreproducably (seems to come out
> differently on each system), is a major hazard.

A previous employer forbid any CPAN module unless it was tested/released as
part of the company wide Unix release.  Which happened only once or twice a
year.  My team released code every two or three months.  So no code reuse
there.

They also were also fond of not buying what some vendors consider optional
extras.  I don't remember what the specific product was but a coworker
was told:  We didn't buy the feature-X for the database, write it yourself.
(Imagine being told that they didn't buy the STL for C++ and to go write it
yourself.)

Mike