[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks... My 2 lines of code, errr, I mean, my 2 cents....

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Oct 20 13:43:54 MDT 2009

I took a Java programming class from a former ADA programmer who
had a pet peeve...

"If you can't see syntax bugs from a print-out without leaning on
the compiler to find them for you, you don't understand the
language."

She had a good point. She could find all our bugs with nothing
but a red pen and a printout of our code.  She never had to run a
single lick of it to see if it worked or not.

She was also the instructor who did an hour long session
off-topic one night in class on the possible evils of putting
things that really didn't need to be in an RDBMS, into an RDBMS.

This was long before "privacy" issues were even interesting to
programmers/computer folks, let alone the general public
demanding to know what people were going to do with their
personal information.

She knew where it was headed... and that any database can be
merged with another to find "interesting" or even "private"
information, with a simple OUTER JOIN...

:-)

She spent a while talking about "shopper loyalty" cards as a
possible example, and what someone could figure out from your
grocery list, if the DB data were supoenaed away from the grocery
store... and this was in the mid 90's, if even that late... (I
forget.)
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:08 -0600, "Bear Giles"