[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Oct 20 14:17:41 MDT 2009

Military equipment tends to have far fewer limits on 'stupid things' it can
do.  You never know when it might be crucial in a combat situation.  It's
hard to think of how this would apply in this case though. :-)

A few years ago comp.risks mentioned a jet running off the end of a runway
because it was covered in wet leaves or something.  Whatever it was didn't
have enough friction to spin up the landing gear, and said landing gear had
to weight-bearing and spinning at some speed (50 mph?) before the thrust
reversers could engage.  This makes perfect sense - you don't want to engage
the thrust reversers at 30,000 ft, or even when you're just a few hundred
feet above the runway.  But in this case it meant the pilot couldn't brake
(slippery runway) and couldn't engage the thrust reversers.  Oops.