[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks... My 2 lines of code, errr, I mean, my 2 cents....

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Tue Oct 20 15:03:50 MDT 2009

On 10/20/09, Bear Giles wrote:
>  The Sun PetStore application were the canonical example of how NOT to do
> it.  A lot of people got misled by it.

> it's somewhat common for new
> frameworks to show how to do the same thing using their framework and that
> 10x reduction is fairly common.

Well, then I guess the RoR Pet Store should be about 340 LOC.  Then,
Django should be 34 lines.   bOP's Pet Store is currently 3,400, but
it includes code for testing and all the bOP groupware (wiki, blog,
calendar, files, tuples, motions, mail, and WebDAV).  Not sure that
I've seen that in other demo apps in 3,400 lines including display
templates. ;-)

> I've found it useful to replace "unit test" with "regression test" in my

A "unit test" is something which tests a module at the API level.  A
functional (or acceptance) test is an application level test.  All are
regression tests, and implicitly, they should all be automatic.

> cheaper and faster to do automatic regression tests with canoe or the like
> than to train people to perform regression tests on every build.

What's a "build"?  ;-)  Since we don't have to build anything, typing
C-c C-m our emacs will start "bivio test unit <module>.bunit" or
"bivio test acceptance <test>".   No builds required.

Rob