[lug] NAS recommendations?

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:46:39 MDT 2009

Folks,

A NAS, for home backup, seems attractive.  Any of you have strong
recommendations these days?

Looks like there are 1Tb NAS boxes on Amazon in the $150-$200 range, and NAS
boxes with pairs of 1Tb disks, RAIDed in some cases, in the $250-$350
range.

Kristina and I normally both use Linux laptops, but we have a pair of old
Mac laptops that we could stand to dump to a file server, too.

The Linux boxes have 80G disks, and I think my Mac has a 40Gb hard disk and
hers has a 20Gb hard disk, so it's not like we need an 8Tb file-server or
anything. :-)  Still, having a Terabyte or two available as backup storage,
with some sort of rsyncing going on would be comforting.

What would you suggest?

--
Click to Call Me Now! --
http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com/2009/09/call-me-now.html