[lug] NAS recommendations?

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Mon Oct 26 11:41:25 MDT 2009

I use plain old USB drives. I have 3-4 with the same enclosure. I just
attach one to the server, and dump to it. Every month or so, when one fills
up, I put it in my media safe and pull the next one in the rotation out of
the safe.

In my case, I use tar with GPG to encrypt the data that gets stored on the
USB drives.

I started doing the same thing for a non-profit I admin. Because I use GPG
to encrypt the backups, I don't have to worry if a drive is stolen out of my
car. For transport, I use a pistol case.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/024099001243.html

You can get them around town for $6-8

A backup isn't going to do much good if someone breaks in and steals your
computer and your backup drive sitting next to it.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/