[lug] NAS recommendations?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Oct 26 12:05:58 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 11:41 -0600, George Sexton wrote:
> I use plain old USB drives. I have 3-4 with the same enclosure. I just
> attach one to the server, and dump to it. Every month or so, when one
> fills up, I put it in my media safe and pull the next one in the
> rotation out of the safe.

Has anyone had any problems with the Western Digital USB MyBooks?  Or
more importantly:  has anyone had USB ports on the motherboard flake out
and take a USB drive with it?

I have a motherboard that has a bunch of USB ports.  I plugged in two
500GB MyBooks with no problem.  They've worked for quite some time. I
plugged in a 1TB MyBook and the system began to act badly.  Turns out
the BIOS doesn't support that drive and won't boot with it plugged in.
But now at least one of the drives (a 500GB) is dying.  I can use it for
awhile on another machine (not the original - it doesn't work there at
all now) but then it dies and I can no longer access it.  The other
500GB seems to be okay and the 1TB I'm not sure about yet.

I don't know whether the USB ports might have caused this because I
plugged in the 1TB and the hardware didn't like it or this is just
coincidental and the 500GB was just about to die anyway.  I'm confused
since all the other MyBooks I have (6 total between work and home) are
all working just fine.

This may also just be related to heat since the room these are in gets
quite warm in the summer.  It's my home office and I have to leave a fan
running 24/7 and the window open to keep the place cool.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org