[lug] NAS recommendations?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 27 03:48:01 MDT 2009

On 10/26/2009 09:46 AM, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> A NAS, for home backup, seems attractive.  Any of you have strong
> recommendations these days?

It really depends on what you're trying to protect from.  The most likely
things are, of course, accidentally deleting a file, needing an old version
of a file, recovering from a drive failure.

But, other things I'm concerned about are:

   Losing data if the house burns down or the electronic gear is stolen.

   Personal data being compromised if our electronics are stolen.  Copies
   of our scanned records could really help an identity thief, for example.

The first means that you're going to need offsite backups.  The second may
mean crypto and/or off-site.  The idea of a NAS is really nice, but I'd
recommend an Atom box with whatever set of hard drives you want.  Atoms are
pretty power efficient, and have the huevos to do crypto.  Maybe something
like allmydata?  Obviously, in that case you need to keep some keys safe...

Sean