[lug] Big External USB copies and Speed

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Tue Oct 27 21:51:22 MDT 2009

My experience has been that creating one large file is MUCH faster than
creating many small files.

IOW, use tar to backup a directory rather than copying the directory.

Actually, I found tar over SSH to a second computer to be faster than tar to
a USB drive. YMMV.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
 <http://www.mhsoftware.com/> http://www.mhsoftware.com/