[lug] NAS recommendations?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sun Nov 1 18:37:03 MST 2009

>>>>> "Nate" == Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> writes:

Nate> Apple's Time Capsule here.  Setup was brain-dead simple.  Macs
Nate> are happy, they can automatically use it for Time Machine
Nate> backups, and anything else in the house can access shared drive
Nate> space on it via CIFS, too.

Nate> It was just a "bonus" that I got a good 802.11n router with
Nate> gigabit ports, a USB print server, and can also plug USB disks
Nate> into it for more space, for one relatively low price when you
Nate> factor buying all of those items, too... and I also got to
Nate> simplify my network by uninstalling all the individual devices
Nate> that handled all those duties previously.

Nate --

How's the throughput on the USB port (and to the internal disk, for
that matter)?  I saw some reviews that dinged the TC on that topic.

I'm looking to upgrade to gigabit / 802.11n, and I'm trying to decide
which way to go.  Currently thinking the Netgear WDNR3700, since I've
had good luck w/ Netgear stuff, but that has a slow USB port as well.

(Which may not matter, as I'm in the process of repurposing my old
TiBook to be a home server; need external drives, but gigabit ethernet
with firewire drives should be fairly quick.  As well as getting quite
the lesson in installing Fedora on PPC!)

Thanks,
t.