[lug] NAS recommendations?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Nov 2 23:23:41 MST 2009

On Nov 1, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Tkil wrote:

> Nate> Apple's Time Capsule here.  Setup was brain-dead simple.  Macs
> Nate> are happy, they can automatically use it for Time Machine
> Nate> backups, and anything else in the house can access shared drive
> Nate> space on it via CIFS, too.
>
> Nate> It was just a "bonus" that I got a good 802.11n router with
> Nate> gigabit ports, a USB print server, and can also plug USB disks
> Nate> into it for more space, for one relatively low price when you
> Nate> factor buying all of those items, too... and I also got to
> Nate> simplify my network by uninstalling all the individual devices
> Nate> that handled all those duties previously.
>
> Nate --
>
> How's the throughput on the USB port (and to the internal disk, for
> that matter)?  I saw some reviews that dinged the TC on that topic.

Sorry, T... I haven't measured it.

When I have "that much" stuff to copy, I usually head out to the
garage to do something else useful and forget about it.  :-)

I know it's probably important to some, but it's just not
"interesting" to me in the slightest these days.  (I figure if it only
cost $300 or whatever, it's not going to keep up with any of the
server-class stuff at work.  People expect too much.  GRIN!)

I read the same complaints before buying it, and I also read that
copying things to the internal disk from the GigE also suffers a bit,
and isn't up to typical NAS/SAN speeds.  I then asked myself, "Self...
how often do I copy large quantities of data around like that?"  Then
I realized... never.  Actually.  :-)

The first Time Machine backups took "an overnight"... including the
large music/photo collections, etc... those gave me an excuse to leave
the machines alone and go to bed that night.  ;-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot