[lug] Off-Topic (a bit): Conferences and Trade Shows

Jonathan Corbet corbet-bldrlug at lwn.net
Wed Nov 4 18:20:00 MST 2009

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:18:43 -0700
"Nate Duehr" <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> USENIX and LinuxWorld used to be the "biggies"... think LW is gone?

It's OpenSourceWorld now, and it was a flop.

If you want something in the US, LinuxCon is as good as it gets.
That and the Linux Plumbers Conference for a more
development-oriented event.  Both are happening in Boston next fall.
The LF collaboration summit in the Spring might also be of interest.

How far afield do you want to go?  FOSDEM is a good
development-oriented event in Brussels.  For exposing products and
such, you can't beat CeBit in Germany; there's a fairly strong open
source presence there.  linux.conf.au is a great development
conference.  The Embedded Linux Conference is good for embedded stuff.
Depending on who your customers are, you might want to consider
something like the Red Hat summit.  LinuxSymposium is supposed to be in
Vancouver next year, but I think that's a fading event.

If you have more specific questions - or guidance on just what kind of
event interests you - drop me a line.  Suffice to say I've seen my
share of these things...

jon