[lug] Karmic Koala

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Nov 5 09:37:58 MST 2009

For whatever it may be worth, the Intrepid to Jaunty transition really
sucked for me (weird X window hangs all over the place, and broken
samba), but Karmic seems to be doing well.

I did a clean install of the OS and my KDE settings this time instead of
upgrading, which may have helped -- I use Kubuntu, and I think
Ubuntu was sloppy about the way they handled the KDE 3 to 4
transition.

On Thursday 05 November 2009 09:30:53 am Landon Cox wrote:
> In case you hadn't seen this yet from Linux Mag online today:
>  http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7600/1.html "Hey Ubuntu, Stop
Making Linux
>  Look Bad"
>
> The guy pretty much rails on 9.10.  Not that this helps you at all,
> but might provide some company to your misery.
>
> Landon
>
> On Nov 5, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> > I upgraded to Karmic Koala on my desktop and laptop.  My
desktop's
> > fine.  My laptop shuts itself off.  Sometimes I get booted up,
> > briefly.
> >
> > It's plugged in and the battery's fully charged, but even the light
> > reporting power goes off.  Harumph.
> >
> > A quick Google suggests it may be overheating because Karmic
isn't
> > dealing with the fan correctly; however, I suppose it's possible
> > it's even coincidental, and I'm just seeing a sudden hardware
failure.

> > I have a bunch of stuff to look at and try.  I'm just wondering
> > whether anyone else has already seen this and would
recommend one