[lug] LPI 2

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Nov 25 15:27:13 MST 2009

On 11/25/09 2:52 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

 > I was surprised to see (or just got unlucky in the question draw) so
 > many questions about Samba.  Do people REALLY integrate Linux servers
 > into Windows Domains that often as servers?  Yuck.  NFS I get, but
 > Samba?  (I can't decide which Internet/pop culture meme to use to
 > describe this one... "I think I threw up my mouth a little bit." ... or
 > ... "I'ma let you finish, LPI... but Windows Domains and Linux really
 > shouldn't mix.")

I haven't used any NFS in a while so I don't know anything about v4. But
I would rather use Samba and CIFS even in an all Linux network than NFS
v3, I can say. But then, I'm not familiar with all the authentication
methods available to NFS v3. Host IP based is not worth tissue paper.

Yes, I have used Samba to network Linux machines together. :)

> And... Squid...? Really? Anyone actually run Squid in a production/work
> environment for anything other than saving bandwidth on a small pipe at
> a small office location?  Squid doesn't make anyone money in the real
> world of Linux admin.  Bandwidth is cheap.  About all I've ever seen it
> used for is to annoy users to block "inappropriate" websites (instead of
> just firing the moron, easily fixed via policy vs. technology)...

Squid does improve performance. It is pretty neat to see things like OS
updates flying at local network speed. You have to tweak the
configuration for cache size and cache object sizes because the defaults
and configuration guides all seem stuck back in the day of 1 GB cache disks.

Bandwidth is not that cheap in my experience. You can always get more
but why pay for it?

> Oh well... Not "sour grapes", just found some of the questions to be
> really silly.
>
> Missing stuff:
>
> I guess there's only so much one can put in a Linux test, but not a
> single question on NTP?

Yeah, NTP is a must-have. Easy to set up though. But then so is Squid.

> Nothing on how to set up serial consoles (seriously?!)?

Not as important as it used to be. Seems that most server rack equipment
has actual remote video consoles these days, probably because it's a
requirement to be able to run Windows Server. But it would still be nice
to know how to do a serial console if needed.

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."