[lug] courtesy, sarcasm, and Free Software

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:50:27 MST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me repeat again that I am *not* a native speaker, and thus ...

> I have troubles understanding something not-explicit-written

I feel your pain. Occasionally I respond in German on another list
where most of the users are German speaking. In spite of the fact that
I read and understand German well, it's a real pain to compose my
thoughts in German, and I'm sure that the other list members get a
chuckle our of my feeble efforts.

> First, Tom and others (David and Rob, I believe) seem to imply that I
> am "bad" because I use this evil non-free email system called gmail,
> and I recommend using it to others. I agree that's doing so is a
> fault, but consider what follows:

Well, I and many other members of most of the lists I subscribe to
(poor grammar I know) have used and love that wonderful evil product
for years. Most of these folks are FSF advocates like you, so the
purists can just stuff it. When an FSF advocate comes up with a free
(to me) service based on totally FSF approved software that provides
even half what gmail does, I'll consider switching.

> 1) I am FSF member and I send to them my hard earned cash every year,
> despite that I'm the only one who works in my family and I have 3.5
> mouths to feed. Do you?

Right on, brother!

> 7) about my "lack of courtesy" ...

> (e.g. bottom-posting instead of top-posting)

I, too, am in the group of responders that despise top posting. Many
top posters never bother to look below the level where they are
typing, and thus they stream mounds of garbage that should have been
clipped. But, you can never convince top posters.

> In conclusion, if you think that I don't deserve being in this group
> (because I use and recommend gmail, and/or because I lack of courtesy,
> or because I'm just not good enough to read/write messages, or for
> whatever other reason), just say so and I'll eagerly quit and leave
> you in peace.

If you choose to leave, I can think of many other lists where your
cogent comments would be welcome and where a gmail posting address is
no big deal. Nevertheless, my recommendation is that you ignore the BS
from small minded nitpickers and continue to enlighten use when you
feel like it.

--
Collins Richey