[lug] FC12 installer bug?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 28 22:21:08 MST 2009

> I've been trying to install to a quad opteron machine, with 4 hard
> drives (400 GB each, SATA2). I've been experimenting with raid
> options, and cannot get past what is apparently a show-stopper bug.
> From what little I found, this was supposed to be FC12 beta bug...has
> anyone here run into this on the non-beta? 527952 MODIFIED anaconda
> AttributeError: ' NoneType ' object has no attribute 'disk'

Do you have the fixed version of anaconda?
I'm using the anaconda which is stock to FC12 i386, using the GUI mode.

> Perhaps there is a workaround, maybe pre-partitioning in a rescue
> mode?

It seems likely that that would work based on what the bug says.
I did the partitioning and RAID setup on command line via rescue (which is a lot faster than that silly GUI...I should just have pre-partitioned to save time, even if there were no anaconda bug). This did the trick.

> Related question on state-of-the-art in FC12: I have not installed a
> system in quite a while, and although it's obvious that /boot can't
> use LVM, can this use RAID1? Journaling filesystems like ext3
> (without special kernel builds)?

/boot can use LVM and as of grub2 it can use grub as well (I'm still
using LILO mostly until I get around to changing).
I noticed that if I used "defaults", it was trying to use ext4 on /boot. So I gave it a shot, and it works great, complete with RAID 1.
Don't know about ext4 but I'm sure grub2 will support it soon enough.
Whatever the version is on FC12, apparently ext4 works as well (which is also derived from the ext2 family).

Dan Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net