[lug] FC12 installer bug?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 28 22:32:17 MST 2009

Does it offer to file a bug on it? If there is network it should do so, and then we can look at the bug and see the exact backtrace. If it's the same as the above bug it should mark it as so. I do know it's sometimes confused by leftover raid superblocks. Might try making sure the start and end of each disk are totally wiped if you are doing a clean install? (ie, dd them with /dev/zero).

This machine is not connected to the Internet. It did offer to file a bug report/backtrace, but I only have a non-routable IP on it. I would file a bug report if either it had Internet access, or if I had time to properly report it, but I have neither.

Manual partitioning and RAID setup before running the installer worked great, but I suspect that the partition creation portion of the GUI is at least partly at fault. I say this because it was successful at creating *some* partitions, and all partitions were created to *exactly* the same size for anything RAID related...but when I viewed it in rescue mode via fdisk, these "exact" sizes were off slightly, a couple gave the warning that partitions did not end evenly on boundaries. Using the same exact partition information, but running manually in fdisk, the partitions were truly exact. I wonder if the GUI is a frontend to fdisk, or something else? If something else, it might be an issue with the backend. The possibility that another RAID superblock was confusing it is also possible, as this had once been used for RAID on CentOS.

As a minor note, for whoever is interested, the GUI has another bug for partitioning: When editing an entry, for a particular device, it does not properly indicate the device. E.G., edit /dev/sda2, and it will not tell you in the menu that it is sda2, although it does in fact edit the proper device. Perhaps there is a relation between this uninitialized field and the RAID partitioning problems.

Dan Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net