[lug] Proposed: Standards for BLUG postings.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Nov 28 23:16:20 MST 2009

I would like to propose that we officially declare that attachments are not
acceptable on BLUG.  I would further recommend that we set the mailing list
server configuration item which blocks postings with attachments.

I don't think we really want to get into the business of declaring that
everything needs to be text only, 65 character long lines, etc, because I
don't think any of us want there to be significant argument over every little
infraction.

But, I do feel Tom's pain with screwed up wrapping and other cruft that gets
in the way of messages.

Please folks, if the client you are using to post to BLUG does stupid things
like re-wrapping quoted text without preserving the quoting, please either fix
it (many are configuration options) or switch to something else.  We're not
asking everyone to use text-based programs like "mutt", I know for a fact that
Thunderbird can be configured not to be a pain.

But, I think we can come to a general consensus that this mailing list is not
the right place for messages with attachments.  I don't know that our archives
support it, for example.

Sean