[lug] Proposed: Standards for BLUG postings.

Walter Pienciak wpiencia at thunderdome.ieee.org
Sun Nov 29 10:37:20 MST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:16:20PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> I would like to propose that we officially declare that attachments are not
> acceptable on BLUG.  I would further recommend that we set the mailing list
> server configuration item which blocks postings with attachments.

Sitting here reading mail with mutt, from a different machine, I
feel the pain both ways, believe me.

I'd like to suggest an alternative, more in the spirit of things
generally, if we really need to do this:  that we devise a "best
practices" policy.  More draconian options are always an option
later.

A few comments, since I've kicked in:

Blithe suggestions that people just use GMail or its ilk are
startling to read on a Linux list.  I imagine we've all been on
the receiving end of "Why don't you just run Windows."  Easier,
sure -- within a certain context.  The earlier comments about
courtesy were on target, IMO.

My company mostly uses Lotus Notes.  For people within that mail
infrastructure, things mostly work.  But there are the inevitable
"my comments are bolded" remarks that I have to deal with:  I
ain't seein' no bold.  There again, "Why don't I just use Notes."
Well, most of MY interaction is with people outside the company,
who see the same gobbledegook Notes-outside-Notes formatting that
I do.  I'd like to think that conforming to standards that work
for everyone increase not data exchange, but information
exchange.

Communications is hard.  But a little effort can go a long way.
There are even RFCs on this stuff for those younguns who have
limited context based on a shorter passage to date through the
time-space continuum, and don't appreciate the limitations and
wide variety of challenges others may have to deal with.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5322.txt  Internet Message Format
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt  Netiquette Guidelines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_posting

Personally, I use mutt, wrap at 65 characters, and bottom-post
unless my reply is a quick "Done."  YMMAODV.  (Your Mileage May
And Obviously Does Vary)

Now, back to my leftover Thanksgiving blueberry pie.  And coffee.

Walter