[lug] boot eSata

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 12:13:21 MST 2009

> Now, back to your question about eSATA: IMHO it has a
> rather fatal flaw...
> The connector and port is not at all robust...  Even
> despite my best
> efforts to tie the eSATA cables to other more robustly
> connected cables
> (like the Ethernet), I finally gave up on one of my systems
> with external
> eSATA drives because I kept losing data.

good to know

> If you really want to do this, why not do it via USB?
> It has a much better
> connector, it'll handle the transfer rate of everything
> smaller than 1TB,
> and then only at full sequential transfer speed -- throw
> some seeks in
> there and you're fine.

well, i assumed eSata would be a lot faster and would behave as if it was an internal drive hooked directly to the controller.   i wasn't aware of USB 3.0 that someone mentioned in this thread.  so i learned that as well.  also, just assumed keeping the entire link sata from start to finish from the controller to the drive was better.

> Best yet, your hardware probably already supports USB
> booting, and the
> drive enclosures are *CHEAP*.

i guess that works.  and most of the enclosures accept sata drives which means the drives can always be used later internally directly attached to controller or via eSata connector.

> As far as virtualization, I'd probably be looking at KVM,

any reason you prefer KVM versus xen (or even vmware though i probably know the answer to vmware ;))?

thanks to all the others that provided info about the eSata question i originally asked