[lug] Creating digital video

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:19:53 MST 2009

I'm not in the making videos (yet), but I'm investigating because I
might need in the close future. That's what I've found.

> I have a DVD created from a tape-to-dvd machine - how
> do I convert the files to some standard Linux video
> format?  The files are in two subdirs
I'd use ogg/theora as fileformat, and here is a list of software
(should be avail for any distro):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/RippingDVDs

More info if you google: "HOWTO: DVDs to Theora on Linux"

> Also, I have a series of PNG files - what is the best way to
> convert them to a standard Linux video format?
I think any of these would be good:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority.html#videoediting

Maybe ImageMagik is more "scriptable" and less "manual" approach:
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/video/

Bye,
;Dav