[lug] Inexpensive no-ring, voicemail only phone number?

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Dec 22 13:54:19 MST 2009

I am on the board of a local non-profit[0], and we need a phone number. We
are small enough that we don't have an office, we just operate out one of
our sponsor churches. They provided us with a phone number that went
straight to a voice-mail for a while, but thanks to a phone system upgrade
they can't do that any more.

I called and asked Qwest, but they want $36/month + usage for such a
setup. Now I know I could setup an Asterisk system and do this in my
basement, and I probably will eventually do so, but in the short term I
wonder if there were other options that were cheaper than Qwest?

We don't need anything fancy, just a local Boulder number that goes
straight to voice-mail that we can call in and check. Now, I know there are
a number of companies on the web that offer something along these lines,
but there is no way to tell if they are reputable or not just from their
websites. Even the review sites don't look trustworthy. :(

So, anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive, voice-mail only, phone
service? Thanks!

[0] http://lambsministry.org/, and it is hosted in my basement. :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |