[lug] Career advice

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 4 00:55:53 MST 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 2:58 PM, David Morris wrote:

> This is where a "Systems Engineer" comes into the project.  Note that
> I use the word in the traditional engineering sense, NOT the
> bastardized definition being applied to administrators to satisfy
> egos.

Sounds like a nice role to have around.  Never worked for anyplace that would pay for anyone to do that role.  You mentioned aerospace... sounds like a pretty big budget.

In most aerospace projects, lives are on the line (one way or another...), so I can see companies expending a lot of money on people to make sure things "go right".

I'm guessing that kind of expenditure only happens if there's a serious rate of return... airplanes, spacecraft, offensive and defensive ballistic missile systems, and commercial launch vehicles... aren't cheap.  In the Defense industry, I bet there's more than one Systems Engineer on "cost plus" contracts.

I wouldn't put them in a discussion of "normal software", though.  Do you?  How many companies really utilize such a role on consumer and business software, or can even afford to?

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot