[lug] Career advice (final words)

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:12:52 MST 2010

> I fear the rest of this thread is getting old for some so I'll skip the
> rest of your wordy reply.  We'll have to agree to disagree and get back
> to Linux.  Vi vs Emacs is a more interesting discussion anyway.

This thread has been interesting to me. I'm not sure I get it right,
but my impression is that you are saying (almost) the same thing and
don't fully realize it. I might be wrong, but it sounds like a
name/role confusion. What's a Software Engineer? Architect? Developer?

I'm sure in some big companies there are pretty strong walls and you
cannot do someone else's job - and probably nobody sees the big
picture of what it's being built - once I had a job interview at one
of these companies and I felt the nightmare of working there (I didn't
accept the job).

But in your case, I suspect that's not the case: you can have "good
role separations" an still be successful. Even though I agree that's
easier (especially in a small company) to have people wearing
different hats and "doing the right thing" (TM) even without fully
understanding which "roles" they are filling, besides "building
software that works" for that particular purpose. Yes, I worked in
such a "multi-role" for a small company, and I still don't know how to
call it. Software Engineer? Architect? Developer? I still don't know
what to write in my resume' for that position! I just talked with the
customers and then architected, designed, implemented, coded, hacked,
whatevered the software that was needed - I also did customer support,
and I was almost the only person working on that project (note: it was
aerospace!)

Bye,
;Dav