[lug] Request for Comments: Wireless repeater

Glenn Murray gmurray at mines.edu
Wed Jan 6 14:58:13 MST 2010

Hi,

I've done these things in the past.

1.  I flashed a Motorola router with OpenWRT and put it in client
mode, so that it received wireless signals and sent them out over
cables.  There was quite a learning curve, but it worked well in the
end.

2.  I made my own parabolic reflector out of sheet metal and
positioned a stock antenna at the focus.  This helped signal quality a
lot.

3.  I purchased a Zyxel P330W router and enabled its client feature
mode.  This, of course, was the easiest.

It all depends on your time and budget, no?  But this is your mom,
dude.  Get her something nice.

Cheers,
Glenn