[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Matthew Beldyk matt at beldyk.org
Mon Jan 11 19:39:28 MST 2010

Landon,
What rack did you use that just connected to the back post and
supported two laptops?  I've used racks before, but have gotten
annoyed when the rack shifts and the posts start to rub on the back
wheel.

Also, see inline comments (hopefully, people will be able to follow my
formatting)

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:
> Wow!  I'm so happy to hear about so many bike commuters.

I figured there were quite a number of bike commuters, but I'm
surprised at the number.  Are you all doing winter bike to work day
next week?

> I have an older MacBook Pro.  Several of us bike commute.  I used to
> have a 1mi ride, and others about the same or less.  We had a variety
> of problems with our Powerbooks and one Ti-book.  My current MacBook
> had the "logic board", CD, and disk replaced.  It was relatively new
> so I don't think it was the commute.  I have since moved and commute
> 7mi each way, and I haven't had any problems with my laptop in over 6
> months of relatively frequent riding.
>
> I have panniers and a commuter bag:
>
> http://www.rei.com/product/604989
> http://www.rei.com/product/761113

Do you carry the laptop in the messenger bag or the panniers?   I
currently carry my normal kit in a larger discontinued Osprey pack
(but it messes with my neck when fully loaded and for long walks so I
shalln't be using it to commute with my laptop to campus).

I use a golite pack with a camelback insert for my 15 mile ride to the
office (it barely fits clothes, tools and water for the day, so I
won't even bother trying to put my laptop in there (ignoring the 3
liter water bladder in there that would rest against the laptop))

> I was wrapping my MacBook in a neoprene sleeve:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017Q8DTQ
>
> but I stopped doing this recently.  We have had Macbooks stay
> on and really heat up so I get nervous about all the wrapping.

I've had a few scares with my old HP laptop and being significantly
concerned from a 15 minute walk between classes (and forgetting to
suspend it completely).  My new Macbook seems to do better when I'm
forgetful.

> When I bring home backup disks, I carry them in this:
>
> http://www.rei.com/product/781700
>
> which I modified with sleeping pad foam and aluminum foil.
> I can hold two 3.5" drives in their sleds.

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind if I start carrying an external drive.

> I rode all last week, and I was worried about the cold so
> I let the laptop sit for a bit before turning it on.  I also fell
> quite a few times, not going real fast.  The laptop seems ok. :)

I was going to ask if people had experience with falling with a
laptop.  Although it's rare, I had a spill 3 years ago (gosh, it has
been that long) when I dozed off en-route to the office (at my old
place, my first two miles were all downhill).

> If you ride at night, I recommend a Cateye Double Shot Pro:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R5NR76
>
> With all this ice, it really helps to have a bright light.  This one
> says it is 25,000 candlepower at 10m.

That's quite a light, I used to have one a little less bright and used
to love doing the B-180 after sunset (my old bike got stolen along
with my light and such).  What sort of battery life do you get on that
light?

> Rob
>

> Rob

Calvin: Know what I pray for?
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept
what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.