[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Jan 11 21:34:09 MST 2010

> I figured there were quite a number of bike commuters, but I'm
>  surprised at the number.  Are you all doing winter bike to work day
>  next week?

I was planning on riding all next week.  I didn't know there was a special
day for it.

> Do you carry the laptop in the messenger bag or the panniers?

Panniers unless it's a quick jaunt.  I hate having things on my back.
I do have one of these:

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/metropolis-buckle-bag---large.html?c=146

I used to use it to deliver Freiker prizes, and for carrying big stuff that
wouldn't fit in my panniers.

>  been that long) when I dozed off en-route to the office (at my old
>  place, my first two miles were all downhill).

You fell asleep on a bike?

>  with my light and such).  What sort of battery life do you get on that
>  light?

When it is subzero, the battery thinks it's only half-charged even on a
full-charge.  I ran it down, and it went to red within 2.5 hours last week.
I haven't had it that long, but it stayed green for 40 minutes when riding
in Dec.

Rob