[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Tue Jan 12 09:28:19 MST 2010

On 20100111_223633, Matthew Beldyk wrote:
> I'm forced to wonder if there is a mode you could switch into that
> would start burning cpu when the computer gets too cold to avoid this
> issue: trade off a little battery life to avoid having to deal with
> condensation.
>
> Perhaps, you could sleep into some "non-hypothermia" mode then every
> few seconds wake to check the temperature and if needed do a couple
> jumping jacks to warm up to some target temperature (without the
> machine fully waking up and generating too much heat and cooking
> itself inside a backpack).
>
> -Matt
>
> <snip>
> > Of course if laptop stays on during the ride, it is unlikely to chill
> > down to the point that there is moisture condensing inside. Wrapping
> > in neoprene may not be an appropriate action. Water proof is not what
> > is needed. Air tight is what is needed. Moist interior air infiltrates
> > and then cools to below its dew point. But keeping the interior of the
> > laptop above the dew point of the interior air at the destination is
> > likely to be very effective.
> >
> > Also, there is safety thermal protection on laptops. If the temperature
> > gets too high during the trip because of too much wrapping and padding,
> > the laptop will go into sleep mode, I think.

I think a more eco-friendly action would be to figure out a way to
carry the laptop against you chest, under your jacket or
windbreaker. Maybe a specialized vest could be designed that minimizes
the padding between you and your laptop. Maybe carry it undernieth your
tee-shirt in direct contact with your skin. Then it will surely not
freeze without you noticing. And, it will surely not turn on and
overheat without you noticing, either.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net