[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Patrick Mullen pmullen.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 09:34:43 MST 2010

> I was going to ask if people had experience with falling with a
> laptop.  Although it's rare, I had a spill 3 years ago (gosh, it has
> been that long) when I dozed off en-route to the office (at my old
> place, my first two miles were all downhill).

I lowsided in a corner while wearing the backpack I linked previously.
 Laptop was fine.  A small hole was worn where the corner of the
laptop inside caused a pressure point that must have hit the ground
briefly.

I also crashed on the SF Bay Bridge and I assume I had my laptop with
me since I always did but not even a mark was made on the backpack.

No, I don't crash often.  Those were the only two for years, far
apart, and I ride a lot of miles.  :)  The first was me being dumb on
a backroad and washing out on sand going around a turn and the second
I was cut off by someone in the rain while I was going over
ultra-slick metal expansion joint.  That's why I wear full riding
gear.  heh

Oh, what I did want to mention is that my friend *REALLY* messed up
his shoulder from crashing while wearing a messenger bag.  Messenger
bags only loop on one shoulder.  When the bag dragged on the ground,
it stuck a bit as he was sliding on top of it, and this caused a lot
of pressure to be placed on only his right shoulder which pulled it
downward and snapped things.  Plus, messenger bags just don't stay in
place very well imo.

~Patrick
--
2006 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST
2004 (race) / 2001 (street) Suzuki SV650