[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Brennen Bearnes bbearnes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:26:16 MST 2010

rlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i don't know why people buy these things.  i thing they were
> designed for *messengers* that needed to get in and out of
> their bags quickly.  my only guess is that non messengers
> thought they looked cool and bought them without ever really
> using one.  i wonder how many messenger bags are collecting
> dust.  they're not cheap.

I think you might be jumping to conclusions a bit. Most of the
serious commuters I know personally (i.e., people who bike more
than they drive for most of the year) use a bag that slings
over one shoulder and stabilizes with a cross strap. A
well-designed bag will have lots of room, shut securely, and
fit comfortably across your back. They aren't for everyone,
or every situation, but they're a useful tool. Mine certainly
doesn't gather much dust.

-- Brennen